Discover Ethiopia and Eritrea in the U.S.
Discover Ethiopia and Eritrea in the DMV (District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia
Evidence of Africa in the Americas is often hidden in plain sight, available but undiscovered.
- Use the Discover Africa in the Americas website and the questions below to discover facts about Ethiopian and Eritrean history and culture
- Use the website to explore a hero in depth
- Click on the highlighted words to connect to web pages that contain answers to the questions below.
Part I. Discover Ethiopia & Eritrea in the U.S.
- What was Axum?
- What does enat mean? It comes from what language?
- What is the population of Addis Ababa?
- What is injera (enjera)? _____________________
- What does abol mean? _____________________
- Who was Kaldi? ______________________
- In which four religious texts does the legend of Makeda, Queen of Sheba appear? ________ ___________________ _____________________ _______________
- How many churches did King Lalibela build? _______________________
- How many Oromo live in Ethiopia? _______________
- Harrar Coffee and Roastery is named for the Ethiopian town of Harar. Harar is an important center of which religion?
- What did the British take from Emperor Tewodros? _____________________
- What roles did Empress Taitu play in the history of Ethiopia?
- Where are Keren and Asmara? _____________________
- What role did John Robinson play in Ethiopia during the Italian invasion? __________
Part II Heroes : Breakout Rooms
Guiding question: Which of the following words characterizes your hero’s story and why? Pious, Resolute, Illustrious, Journey, Struggle, Triumph.
|Virgin Mary||Queen of Sheba||Empress Taytu|
|Yohannes IV||Tewodros II||Menelik II|
- In your Breakout Room determine who will research which hero. (You will have ten minutes to research and ten minutes to share in the Breakout Room).
- Click on the link below the Hero’s picture to navigate to the Discover Africa in the Americas page about the Hero you have chosen.
- Explore the page, read the text and click on the links for additional information.
Guiding question: Which of the following words characterize your hero’s story and why? Pious, Resolute, Illustrious, Journey, Struggle, Triumph.
- After ten minutes, share what you found with the Breakout Group.
- After sharing in your Breakout group, you will have the opportunity to share to the larger group.
Africa Access, 9/17/2020
Link to this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V3EjZQXVrVcWz5edztgrQaLBoUbIa4816yNZXoRt3EE/edit